Posts for category: Chiropractic
Therapeutic sports massage is a form of therapy that focuses on the treatment of injuries, aches, and pains that affect soft tissue, such as the muscles. Massage techniques are used to reduce stiffness and soreness of muscles, and lower heart rate and blood pressure, promoting relaxation. Currently, many experts in the field of sports medicine also believe that massage therapy can give athletes an extra edge, and as such, massage has become an integral part of a complete workout. Dr. George Kollias, Dr. Autumn Scaz, and Dr. Elissa Pally are chiropractors at Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy in Tampa, FL. They can provide all your sports massage therapy Tampa, FL needs.
How You Benefit from Sports Massage Therapy
Tampa residents who like to stay active with sports have found several benefits from participating in Massage therapy in Tampa, FL. These include:
- Easing of muscle pain and discomfort
- Reduction of muscle tension
- Improved range of motion
- Increased relaxation
- Reduction of recovery time from injury
- Improved sleep quality
How Massage Therapy Works
The first thing that massage therapy does is release the tension from muscles and tendons and promotes blood flow through the body. Because this improves your circulation, it has the following benefits:
- Reducing stress and helping you unwind
- Improving breathing and blood pressure
- Promoting relaxation and improving mood
Because your circulation is stimulated, your body will also function better at eliminating toxins. This in turn will improve your digestive functions, boost your immune system, and help you to sleep better at night.
Sports Massage After an Injury
Massage therapy Tampa, FL is also important after you have had a sports injury. It promotes healing by warming up and stretching tight tissues and dispersing swelling around joints. For example, if you have had a hamstring injury, sports massage can reduce tightness and relax scar tissue to help recovery.
If you would like to find out more about sports massage and its benefits, call Dr. George Kollias, Dr. Autumn Scaz, and Dr. Elissa Pally of Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy at 813-884-1457.
Are you dealing with tense, painful, or spasming muscles?
Tender spots in the body that cause pain and discomfort, especially when touched, are often referred to by our Tampa, FL, chiropractors Dr. George Kollias, Dr. Autumn Scaz, and Dr. Elissa Pally as trigger points. Trigger points are localized areas of muscle that, as a result of a lack of blood flow and nutrients, stay tense, and cannot relax. If you are dealing with trigger points, neuromuscular, or trigger point therapy may be ideal for alleviating your pain.
What is neuromuscular therapy?
Neuromuscular therapy is a type of medical massage designed to alleviate muscle soreness, tension, and pain, and to restore movement and function back into certain areas of the body. It also helps to improve blood flow, ensuring that blood delivers vital nutrients to the area to relax the muscles and also promotes faster healing.
Neuromuscular therapy, like many of the treatments our chiropractors offer here in Tampa, FL, requires ongoing sessions in order to see the best results. By getting regular trigger point therapy sessions you can also prevent muscle tension and the formation of new trigger points in the future.
What causes trigger points?
There is a combination of factors that can cause trigger points to develop. Some of these factors include,
- Overuse or repetitive movements
- Poor posture
- Poor nutrition
- Direct impact or trauma to the body such as a fall, strain or motor vehicle accident
By staying hydrated, regularly stretching and exercising, quitting (or avoiding) smoking, and eating a healthy diet that is low in sugar and alcohol you can reduce your chances of developing trigger points.
Who can benefit from neuromuscular therapy?
This specific type of massage therapy is most appropriate for patients dealing with,
- Upper or lower back pain
- Muscle spasms
- Knee and hip pain
- TMJ disorders
- Carpal tunnel
- Plantar fasciitis
What are the benefits of neuromuscular therapy?
There are a wide range of benefits associated with this form of massage therapy including,
- Reducing pain, tenderness, and soreness
- Reducing muscle spasms
- Improving blood flow and circulation
- Stimulating the body’s natural healing process
- Promoting relaxation and improving sleep
- Restoring mobility and range of motion
- Improving posture
We take our patients’ health and safety very seriously, especially during this time. Our Tampa, FL, chiropractors are here to help so please don’t hesitate to call Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy at (813) 884-1457. Also, our Tampa, Fl, office will be re-opening on Monday, May 11th to resume our normal hours of operation.
Morning stiffness, limited range of motion, chronic pain—you've lived with them ever since your shoulder injury. At Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy in Tampa, FL, Drs. Kollias, Pally, and Scaz often recommend muscle energy massage as an adjunct to chiropractic care. Here's what it could do for you:
You and your pain
It impacts everything you do. You're stiff, have poor range of motion, and protect your injured shoulder. Besides these problems, Tufts University School of Medicine says that chronic pain lowers your body's immune response to injury and acute illness. Also, you feel and act much older than you are. For example, a middle-aged person with continual pain functions at the level of a healthy 70-year-old.
Massage therapy can help
At Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy in Tampa, FL, Drs. Kollias, Pally, and Scaz see many people after motor vehicle accidents or after sustaining injuries from work or athletic activities. Just like you, they want relief and better function, and therefore, undergo a complete chiropractic exam.
Of course, chiropractic interventions vary depending on your diagnosis. However, most practitioners agree that massage therapy is a wonderful adjunct to any treatment plan.
Massage loosens tight muscles, increases blood flow, and provides an overall sense of relaxation. Softer tissues, such as ligaments and tendons, heal more rapidly and efficiently with massage therapy. Plus, your chiropractor can correct subluxations (misalignments) in your spine more easily when you are fully relaxed.
What is MET?
MET stands for Muscle Energy Technique. This type of massage therapy requires equal participation by both therapist and patient. As such, it is called an active, rather than passive, massage technique.
If your chiropractor in Tampa, FL, recommends muscle energy massage therapy for your shoulder pain, expect your therapist to:
- Use hands-on strokes to lengthen your muscles in the targeted areas
- Help your muscles to contract in a subtle way (isometric contractions) so they can relax fully
- Help you improve your range of motion and your level of pain
Muscle Energy Technique is appropriate for people of all ages and walks of life. It works effectively in conjunction with chiropractic adjustments for:
- Neck, shoulder, and back pain
- Uneven limb length
- Athletic injuries
- Headache pain
Find out more
At Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy in Tampa, FL, our doctors and therapists are experts in a wide range of pain management techniques, including muscle energy massage. Don't suffer from dysfunction and discomfort—call us for a complete chiropractic evaluation: (813) 884-1457.
Pain medication isn't the only option if you have arthritis. Massage therapy offered by your Tampa, FL, chiropractors, Drs. George Kollias, Autumn Scaz, and Elissa Pally can ease your aches and pains.
How Massage Can Help You Manage Your Arthritis Symptoms
When your joints hurt, massage might seem like the last therapy you'd want to try. Although a vigorous, bone-jarring treatment certainly wouldn't be a good idea, moderate pressure on joints, tissues, and muscles can actually have a beneficial effect on arthritis symptoms.
In fact, attending regular massage therapy appointments at our Tampa office creates these important benefits:
- Less Pain: Massage provides a natural way to reduce pain in both joints and muscles. Gentle stretching and kneading motions used during the therapy ease soreness, aches, and pains. Treatments stimulate the release of endorphins, your body's natural pain relievers. Endorphins not only decrease pain but also promote a sense of well-being. Massage may also reduce the production of a neurotransmitter linked to pain.
- Reduced Stiffness: Joint pain is often accompanied by muscle stiffness if you have arthritis. Massage relieves muscle tension, decreasing pain naturally.
- Enhanced Range of Motion: Massage also improves flexibility and may increase the range of motion in your joints.
- Decreased Inflammation: Inflammation in muscles and joints can increase pain and other arthritis symptoms. Massage offers a simple way to keep inflammation under control.
- Improved Circulation: The hands-on treatment improves blood flow, thus promoting healing and boosting lymph circulation. When your lymph system functions more efficiently, it's easier for your body to remove the excess fluids that contribute to swelling in your joints.
- Less Stress: It's only natural to feel a little stressed when you experience chronic pain due to arthritis. Massage promotes relaxation and helps relieve stress and anxiety. The therapy reduces the amount of stress hormones you produce and increases the production of serotonin, a natural chemical that regulates mood.
- Better Sleep: When you're relaxed and no longer in pain, it's much easier to fall asleep and stay asleep.
Need Relief? Give Us a Call
Relieve your arthritis pain with massage therapy! Call your Tampa, FL, chiropractors, Drs. George Kollias, Autumn Scaz, and Elissa Pally, at (813) 884-1457 to schedule an appointment.
At Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy, we provide patients with quality care by utilizing the most modern equipment, technology, and massage therapy techniques available. Whether the idea of this relaxation method is new to you, or you've reaped the benefits before, many different types can improve your wellness as a whole. In our Tampa, FL, office, our team of massage therapists works with your chiropractors, Dr. George Kollias, Dr. Autumn Scaz, and Dr. Elissa Pally. We can help you achieve fewer migraines, improve nerve system function, and help you relax, all with gentle hand manipulation. Read on to learn more.
Why Consider Massage Therapy?
Getting a massage is the best thing you can do for your body, mind, and spirit. It can help you reach a healthier mental and emotional frame of mind by managing symptoms of depression, anxiety, or chronic pain. It also delivers physical benefits, like correcting posture, curbing pain in specific areas of the body, and promoting relaxation and stability.
The Different Types of Massage Therapy
At Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy, our therapists focus on specific areas of the body utilizing these popular methods:
- Swedish - ideal for people who are new to massage therapy, carry excessive tension and are sensitive to touch. The therapist will use a combination of long flowing strokes, kneading, deep, circular motions, as well as vibration and tapping.
- Sports Therapy - beneficial for athletes who need to improve range of motion, prevent injury, or alleviate issues and aches. This technique focuses on treating soft tissue injuries and reducing muscle stiffness using mild to moderate pressure.
- Muscle Energy - is excellent for people with a limited range of motion and require effective pain management. This manual therapy utilizes deep or soothing strokes to loosen and stretch the muscles.
Health Benefits of Massage Therapy
Research shows that there are endless reasons to get a massage. It can alleviate symptoms that result from conditions like fibromyalgia, stress, low-back pain, and many others. Additional advantages to massage therapy also include:
- Less fatigue
- Immunity boost
- Better sleep quality
- Elimination of toxins
- Improved circulation
- Reduction in pain and discomfort
Whether you are skeptical about getting your first massage or a master searching for new techniques, our therapists at Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy make patients feel warm and welcome from the minute they walk in the door. For more information about massage therapy, conditions treated, and other services provided, visit our website. For appointment scheduling in our Tampa, FL, office, please call 813-884-1457.