Posts for category: Chiropractic Care
At Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy, Dr. George Kollias, Dr. Autumn Scaz, and Dr. Elissa Pally take pride in providing their patients with holistic wellness and comprehensive treatment for back pain, acute or chronic injury, sports rehabilitation, and more. As a part of serving the Tampa, FL community, massage therapy is one of our cornerstone treatment modalities. Learn more about how you can start receiving the health benefits of massage therapy below.
Why Massage Therapy?
When most people think about chiropractic care, they think about chiropractic adjustments. However, total chiropractic care involves a look at the entire body, caring for the muscles and surrounding tissue just as much as the joints to which they attach. Therefore, we regularly employ massage therapy for its wealth of therapeutic benefits.
According to West Virginia Medicine, regular massage therapy can:
- Reduce pain in the lower back and increase range of motion
- Kick start the lymphatic flow, activating the body's defense against illness
- Help athletes recover from high-intensity training sessions
- Stretch and exercise tight muscles
- Improve flexibility at the joint
- Decrease symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Catalyze tissue regeneration
- Reduce post-op or post-injury swelling
- Relax cramping or spasms in muscles
- Soothe tired, overused muscles
- Release endorphins
- Alleviate headache and migraine pain
Other Common Applications Of Massage Therapy
According to the Journal of General Internal Medicine, weekly massage can soothe knee osteoarthritis compared to other methods of standard care. It's also been shown to alleviate pain, anxiety, and grip strength in those who suffer from arthritic hands.
If you think massage, you typically think about back pain. And why not? It's a great way to treat both neck and back pain.
Alongside anecdotal evidence that getting a massage relieves tension in those areas, evidence shows its application. The Annals of Internal Medicine confirmed that regular massage effectively treats back pain in a study that reduced pain, made it easier to perform daily tasks, and left participants less reliant on drugs to feel better. In short - massage can take a painful existence and turn it into a pain-free one.
Get in touch for massage therapy today!
Contact Dr. George Kollias, Dr. Autumn Scaz, and Dr. Elissa Pally at Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy in Tampa, FL at 813-884-1457 to get started with massage therapy and finally find pain relief now.
Your chiropractors in Tampa, FL, can help with your neck pain.
Acute or chronic neck pain can have a dramatic effect on your life. The constant stabbing pain when you turn your head can make it hard to move. The dull ache of your neck muscles can make it difficult to concentrate. In short, neck pain can make you miserable. The good news is, your chiropractor can help you feel better.
The experienced doctors at Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy in Tampa, FL, offer comprehensive chiropractic and wellness services, including treatment for neck pain.
Acute neck pain can be caused by suffering whiplash due to a car accident, trauma from a sports injury, and more. Chronic neck pain can be caused by poor posture, degenerative joint disease, arthritis, or other medical conditions.
Whether your neck pain is acute or chronic, there are a few simple tips you can try to get relief, including:
- Applying ice to the area several times each day to decrease swelling
- Applying heat to the area to relax tense muscles
- Gently stretching to relieve stiffness and retain range-of-motion
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medications
For moderate to severe neck pain that isn’t relieved with home therapies, it’s best to visit your chiropractor. At Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy, your chiropractor will examine your neck and cervical vertebrae, check your posture and range-of-motion, and possibly order x-rays of your neck.
After a thorough evaluation, your chiropractor will develop an individualized treatment plan to help you get relief from neck pain. Your treatment plan may include:
- Cervical adjustment
- Therapeutic massage
- Laser therapy
- Physical therapy
- Stretching and exercising
You don't have to suffer from neck pain when help is just a phone call away. To find out more about relieving neck pain and other chiropractic and wellness services, call Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy in Tampa, FL, at (813) 884-1457 today!
Spinal stenosis is a narrowing of spaces in the spine, which places pressure on nerves. It usually occurs in the lower back and neck, and symptoms vary from one person to another. To know for sure, you'll need to visit Drs. George Kollias, Autumn Scaz, and Elissa Pally of Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy in Tampa, Florida.
How do symptoms vary?
Some people have no symptoms, but others experience several symptoms:
- muscle weakness
Symptoms vary depending on which nerves are affected and require an MRI or CT scan for proper diagnosis. Take into consideration that many symptoms worsen overtime and other symptoms of spinal stenosis include problems with walking and balance, neck pain, bowel or bladder dysfunction, pain or cramping in one or both legs, and back pain.
What's the cause of spinal stenosis?
It's caused by wear-and-tear in the spine and severe cases, your chiropractor may recommend surgery to relieve pressure off the spinal cord or nerves. Other causes include:
- Overgrowth of bone from osteoarthritis on your spinal bones creates bone spurs.
- Herniated disks, which occurs because the soft cushions that act as shock absorbers dry out.
- Ligaments that stiffen over time.
- Tumors are uncommon but identifiable using an MRI or CT scan when you visit your Tampa chiropractor.
- Spinal injuries, like car accidents and other trauma.
Types of Spinal Stenosis
- Cervical stenosis, which is the narrowing of the spine in your neck.
- Lumbar stenosis, which is narrowing of the spine in your lower back
Who's at risk of spinal stenosis?
Age plays a big part, especially if you are over 50. Degenerative changes cause spinal stenosis in younger people, as well as trauma, congenital spinal deformity, and genetics in general. MRI or CT scans pinpoint the cause of spinal stenosis.
Need to speak with a chiropractor?
If you'd like to learn more about spinal stenosis, you can contact Drs. George Kollias, Autumn Scaz, and Elissa Pally of Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy in Tampa, Florida, by calling 813-884-1457.
Dealing with neck pain after a car accident? Chiropractic care can relieve your symptoms.
More than 16,000 car accidents happen every day in the US. While some accidents are minor, you may still be dealing with neck pain and other aches and pain as a result. While pain relievers can help ease the pain, you must receive proper treatment after your auto accident to address the injuries that are causing you pain. This is where our Tampa, FL, chiropractor Dr. George Kollias, Dr. Autumn Scaz, and Dr. Elissa Pally come in.
What are the symptoms of whiplash?
You may be dealing with a whiplash injury if you are experiencing:
- Limited range of movement and flexibility in your neck
- Pain that gets worse when moving your neck
- Pain that radiates to the shoulders and arms
Those with whiplash may also experience:
- Trouble concentrating
- Sleep problems
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Blurry vision
Since many conditions can cause similar symptoms it’s important that you see a qualified medical professional right away, especially if you’ve been in a car accident.
How can a chiropractor help?
Our chiropractors, Dr. George Kollias, Dr. Autumn Scaz, and Dr. Elissa Pally, specialize in treating injuries and conditions that affect the musculoskeletal system, which includes everything from tendons and ligaments to bones and nerves. If you are dealing with whiplash and other injuries due to an auto accident, our Tampa chiropractor can provide you with a variety of treatment options, including:
- Pain management: This includes everything from resting and ice/heat therapy to taking over-the-counter pain relievers
- Exercises: The exercises our chiropractors will prescribe will involve slow, gentle stretching exercises that can reduce pain and stiffness and restore flexibility and range of motion.
- Spinal manipulation/chiropractic adjustment: When the neck gets forcefully thrown out of its typical range of motion, this can cause vertebrae within the spine to fall out of alignment. To improve the alignment of the spine, to release trapped nerves, and to reduce muscle tension, our chiropractor offers spinal manipulation to ease symptoms and improve how the body functions as a whole.
- Physical therapy: if you’ve been in a serious car accident and you’re dealing with long-term or severe whiplash pain, then our chiropractor may also recommend physical therapy to help retrain and strengthen the muscles in and around the neck.
If you’ve just recently been in an auto accident, our Tampa, FL, chiropractor offers a wide range of treatment options that can help ease symptoms associated with soft tissue injuries such as whiplash. To schedule an evaluation with Dr. George Kollias, Dr. Autumn Scaz, and Dr. Elissa Pally, call Sheldon Road Chiropractic & Massage Therapy at (813) 884-1457.